Friday, June 1, 2012

Dark Chocolate Walnut Cake (from Heaven)


Have I mentioned before my love affair with Red Wine? Indeed, it is true. Because of my intolerance to sugar, I DO have to be careful with the smooth red liquid, as I am a pretty cheap drunk after only 1/2 a glass. But I will sip that 1/2 glass with relish.

On one such occasion, I noticed on the back of my bottle of Cocobon ($6.99 at Trader Joe's) that it paired well with Chocolate Walnut cake. Well, the bottle of wine talks, and Ami listens!! I found this cake recipe on another blog called The Nesting Project, and she got it from Bon Appetit 1995.

I adapted it to fit our diets here, and iced it with my favorite fudge icing. I was AMAZED. AMAZED I TELL YOU! This cake melts.in.you.mouth. The only problem you have to sort out is: how much you are going to eat yourself (you did make it afterall), and how much you are going to share. Be warned, I'm a dress-size bigger now.

LET THEM EAT CAKE!!
CAKE:

3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 c. less a Tbsp.Kamut flour
1.2 t. baking soda
1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 c. whole unrefined cane sugar (Panela is great), or brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
1/4 c. yogurt
1/4 c. plain almond milk
3/4 c. chopped walnuts

Pre-heat oven to 350. Butter a 13x9 inch glass pan (or two 8" round pans) and line with parchment paper. Stir chocolate in top of double boiler set over simmering water until melted. Set aside to cool.

Sift flour and baking soda into small bowl. Using electric mixer beat butter in large bowl until creamy. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla, then melted chocolate. Add dry ingredients alternately with yogurt and water, beating just until blended after each addition. Stir in walnuts.

Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs attatched. Cool cake in pan on a rack.

FUDGE FROSTING (Betty Crocker):
1/2 c. whole unrefined cane sugar
1/4 c. baking cocoa
1/4 c. plain almond milk
2 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. brown rice syrup or corn syrup
Dash of salt
1/2 c. organic powdered sugar
1/2 t. vanilla

Mix sugar and cocoa in saucepan. Stir in milk, butter, rice syrup and salt. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Boil 3 minutes, stirring occasionally; cool for 30 minutes.

Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Frosts a 13x9 inch cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...