Sunday, April 8, 2012

Butter Chicken

I found this recipe online years ago, and it was the first time I had ever made, or eaten, butter chicken. I have a friend who is Indian, and she made me her version, which was delicious, but totally different. My recipe was sweeter than hers, and I asked her why. She said that each part of India (North, East, South, West) has their own style of butter chicken. According to her, my recipe is from Southern India.

I've tweeked this recipe through the years, and it's not hard; the only thing you really need to have on hand are the spices... they are the secret to Indian cooking.

Cook:
2-3 Tbsp. butter
1 onion
1/4 t. cinnamon

Add and Cook:
2 t. garlic
2 t. ginger
1/2 t. turmeric
1-2 t. chili
1 T. coriander

Add and Cook:
2 c. chicken, cubed

Add and Simmer:
1/4-1/2 ground almonds
8 oz. diced canned tomatoes
1 T. ketchup or tomato paste

Add and heat through:
1/2 c. plain yogurt

Serve over rice or quinoa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...