Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Sweet Potato Mash

As a young adult (ah, those were the days) I had a bit of trouble tolerating potatoes. I think it must have been the fact that potatoes can have the equivalent of 17 teaspoons of sugar in them (not a good choice for diabetics). Once I got my refined sugars under control, I was able to have potatoes in moderation again, but during my potato ban, I enjoyed many many sweet potatoes (which you`d think would be more sugary than potatoes, but actually not!). I especially loved mashed sweet potatoes, and here`s my favorite way to do them:

2 large sweet potatoes, washed and cut into chunks
3 Tbsp. butter
1/4 c. liquid (chicken broth, plain almond milk, milk, or cream)
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 c. fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste

sour cream or substitute

Put cut sweet potatoes (peel on) into a pot. Cover with water and boil until soft. Meanwhile, fry garlic until fragrant. Remove from heat. Drain and mash sweet potatoes. Stir in butter, liquid, garlic and parsley. Season to taste and top with a dollop of sour cream. Mmmm, is anyone else getting hungry?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...